In a world obsessed with self, I actually find great value in being second. Most of the social content I share is me on stage because it’s far more photogenic than what I do when I’m not on stage…coaching. Whether friend or client, those in my circles are familiar with my ability to make people simultaneously comfortable and uncomfortable. Comfortable enough to build trust, uncomfortable enough to allow growth. Bottom line: I ask tough questions because I really believe in constant self-discovery and growth.
Discovery is at the core of one of my priorities when I am not on stage – coaching. It’s an opportunity for me to guide people in building their startups, improve their speaking skills, discover their purpose and advise companies on innovation. That said, I realize it’s not all that familiar with everyone and is often confused with consulting, counseling, mentoring or training.
What is coaching?
The goal of coaching is for you to gain clarity in your thinking, discover new things, and take action to reshape your life around that learning. To me, coaching is a couple of things;
- It’s an ongoing conversation focused on empowering the client.
- Coaching is about you… your dreams, goals, and development.
- Coaching is about learning. You are the expert on your life. I use techniques such as active listening, open questions, encouragement, challenge, and support to help you discover insights and take next steps toward your goals.
- Coaching is about action.
What is not coaching?
- Coaching is not therapy, it is future and action-oriented.
- Coaching is not training. In coaching, you set the agenda, change comes from you and you only.
- Coaching is not imitation. I have no desire in turning you into me or any role model in your life.
So how does coaching work?
I ask questions. Tough ones! And then I listen not just to what you say but why and how you say it. We then take these observations and turn them into insights that correlate with specific, achievable action. I hold you accountable to accomplishing these goals and together we celebrate as you take positive steps forward.
The diversity of the people I coach has led to the creation of Igniter Pad, a community all aiming to live their best lives and support others along the way. While they benefit individually from my coaching, I believe there is even more power in the collective.
If you want to be a part of this amazing community, comment below or drop me a message!
Dan Ram ignites the stage as an in-person event and virtual event EMCEE & Speaker at over 100 events a year. He has shared the stage with international luminaries including President Barack Obama, Sir Richard Branson, Reid Hoffman, Nico Rosberg, and Grammy-winning artists and celebrities. Level up your communication skills through his course and mastermind “Speaking Success”. If you want to make this the year that you master your personal brand, check out Dan’s Full Service Personal Branding Agency. His passion is to inspire people with his motto ‘Start Now Start Simple’ in building a future we all want to live in.